Saturday, July 3, 2010

Seeing the light!

When we bought our house it had been recently renovated and new fittings like carpet, timber venetian blinds and lights were all in place. The lights were nice, but kind of generic and cheap oyster lights. There were 7 of these lights throughout the house, all requiring 2 globes. The larger spiral energy saving globes didn't fit, so I had to hunt around for the compact ones before they became readily available. Also, the upturned design of the light meant that it was a great spot for flies and moths to die, leaving a lovely dark shadow on the glass part of the light fitting.

I convinced The Bloke to change them all to batten fix lights so that I could change the shades as I desired. I thought that this would be a simple task, but unfortunately the heat from the lights had damaged the plaster and large pieces had to be replaced. So, the lounge room is still a work in progress, but the hallway is done.
I found a spaghetti light on Ebay that is the same as one I have hanging in my front entrance. After we removed the wiring and constructed a clear acrylic hanging plate for it, we strung it up from a batten fix lamp cord.
Then we replaced the temporary light shade that I had put up on the brick feature wall in the kitchen. When we moved in, it had a rather garish, colonial looking coach light in gold with amber glass (sorry, I didn't take photos of it).
Now it has a retro glass and timber sconce that I found at a salvage yard, cleaned up and gave a new coat of paint.

The bathroom needs new lights but that will wait until we do a complete renovation of the bathroom. As we still need to finish landscaping the front yard and building a new garage, I think that will be some time away.

No comments: